Do you have a passion for people and bringing teams together? Have you previous experience leading or managing teams of volunteers and celebrating their successes? If so, please get in touch as we would love to hear from you! Head2Head Sensory Theatre is seeking volunteers to form part of a project team leading on the purchase and refurbishment of a Sensory Theatre / Community Drop-In Centre for children and young adults with special needs’ and disabilities, their families and carers.
About Head2Head Sensory Theatre:
Our charity is dedicated to the Special Needs’ Community. We are passionate about making theatre accessible to all and understand that families who have a child with a disability face many barriers. We raise awareness, share knowledge and develop new ways to make this happen. We include opportunities for self-development and learning by offering work experience to students transitioning from education.
We provide immersive and interactive multi-sensory shows for special schools and the local community throughout London and the South East reaching over 3000 children with disabilities and over 2000 family members / carers each year. Our activities provide layers of entertainment, both verbal and sensory, so that users, their neurotypical siblings and other family members, are fully engaged.
We are now entering a new and exciting phase and chapter of Head2Head Sensory Theatre by preparing to open a first-of-its-kind community drop-in centre and theatre base. We are securing an ideal site which is in central location with excellent road and rail connections. It presently houses two halls, several classrooms, separate outhouses, detached house, tennis courts and ample parking. All we now need is lots of help to refurbish the building into a welcoming theatre and centre and get the word out to the community to be ready for lots of sensory and theatre fun as soon as possible!
What will you be doing?
You will help us establish and maintain a first-of-its-kind centre which will leave a lasting legacy on the Leatherhead and Surrey community. You will raise awareness of this exciting project and promote its growth and development. You will bring your skills, attributes, expert knowledge, experience and contacts to enrich our project and benefit our charity.
We are currently seeking a dedicated volunteer to support us by ensuring that H2H’s organisational needs are managed through the recruitment, placement, retention ongoing support and coordination of volunteers carrying out activities on behalf of H2H.
The role will involve:
• Researching and writing volunteer policies and procedures, including risk assessments
• Leading on the development, implementation and evaluation of a volunteer programme generating opportunities and role descriptions based on current operational and programme aspirations
• Raising staff awareness of the role and the function of volunteers
• Ensuring there is appropriate support and training for volunteers
• Promoting volunteering (internally and externally) through recruitment and publicity strategies and campaigns
• Interviewing and recruiting volunteers, ensuring they are appropriately matched and trained for their position
• Organising rotas and providing inductions and training
• Monitoring, supporting, motivating and accrediting volunteers and their work
• Celebrating volunteering by nominating volunteers for awards and organising celebration events
• Offering advice and information to volunteers and external organisations through face-to-face, telephone and email contact
• Organising profile-raising events to attract new volunteers
• Attending committees and meetings
• Managing budgets and resources, including the reimbursement of expenses
• Keeping up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and making any necessary modifications to accommodate changes
• Working with multiple agencies across different sectors in order to establish good working relationships to influence decisions about volunteering
• Monitoring and evaluating activities and writing reports for funders and trustees
• Maintaining databases and undertaking any other administrative duties
• Developing and managing partnerships with external stakeholders including Universities and volunteering hubs
• Developing and maintaining links with local community groups and other organisations and businesses in order to recruit new volunteers
• Raising the profile of H2H’s volunteer programmes, acting as an ambassador
• Ensuring that volunteer roles, guidelines, procedures, record-keeping and evaluation systems are followed and maintained
• Ensuring that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
What are we looking for?
We wish to recruit volunteers who are passionate about our charity’s work. We are seeking individuals who are able to help us with our expansion project and beyond with their expertise and skills in social media, marketing and branding awareness, and to ultimately champion its development and growth. Ideal candidates will have can-do attitudes, very strong promotional skills enabling leads for the benefit of the charity, as well as expert knowledge and experience necessary for this exciting transition.
Ideal candidates will have:
• Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and presentation skills
• Experience and/or qualification in disciplines such as human resources management, social work and business management
• Experience of managing or coordinating projects and volunteers
• An empathy with volunteers and an understanding of their needs
• The ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity
• Good organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks
• Administrative and IT skills and ability to maintain records and produce clear written and verbal reports
• A flexible and non-judgemental approach to people and work
What difference will you make?
You will join the charity during a critical period of transition and your expert knowledge and experience will be invaluable to its success. You will have a key role in ensuring we reach the children, and their families, who are in need of our support and inclusion on a regular basis and offer a drop-in centre which will always be welcoming.
What’s in it for you?
You would be part of an innovative and forward-thinking charity, focused on reaching children who are part of those harder to reach families. You would have a key role in developing a first-of-its-kind theatre and drop-in centre which will be transformational to children and young adults with special needs’ and disabilities, their families and carers.
Before you apply:
Also please visit our Head2Head Sensory Theatre profile page and website before applying to get a flavour for the Charity and its work: http://www.head2headtheatre.co.uk
Where: Leatherhead and/or mainly at home
Travel limit: Ideally candidates should live or work in London or South East as occasional visit to Head2Head Sensory Theatre and Centre will be necessary
Remuneration: This volunteer position is not remunerated but reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed in line with Charity Commission guidelines
Time: Either in or out of office hours
Estimate of time needed: Approximately 10-15 hours / month
Deadline for applying: ASAP / Ongoing until position filled
Please express your interest in the Head2Head Sensory Theatre Trustee position by submitting your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org